Monday, September 23, 2013

Print is in!




And it was a pain in the butt! Actually, now that I have the hang of the different formatting, it won’t be as bad. And Flynn’s In, the sequel to AKA Lexi Frost, may actually end up in print first or about the same time as I bring it out as an eBook. I’m done with the formatting on it and just have to do the whole proof thing.

Print formatting is different. For one, the Table of Contents doesn’t just do itself. You have to put in page numbers. And (I suspect) people expect them to be right. Margins matter and you can’t fiddle with them.

Suddenly those ellipses that you had in an eBook that may appear on one line or two depending on the font size the reader chose, need to be noticed. They have to be all on one line.

And dashes matter (as a nod to Grammar Nazis). In print, you can tell the difference. There’s a dash, an en-dash, and an em-dash. Who cares? Some editors. Mine didn’t, but I do know the difference whether I choose to observe it or not. I don’t like em-dashes, they’re big and unwieldy. I like en-dashes, but there’s rarely a case where I’m allowed to use them. Regular dashes are just “meh” and I’ll use them where they’re needed. If you don’t care about these things, skip this whole paragraph.

I personally was very distracted by just a few words or one line at the end of a scene being on a different page. For these issues, and the ellipses issue, I had to find each instance, then do minor rewording to jigsaw the words together better. So if you put the print version of one of my books next to an eBook version, they will be slightly different.  If I didn’t tell you, no one but me would notice. Maybe my editor. 

Oh, and the red stripe across the cover, that changed. It’s still there, and still red, but it’s a different shade of red. Thought I would admit it before someone pointed it out to me. As if that was going to happen.

So now my second book published (third written) is the first in print. Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment