Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Dinner For Everyone, Or Not

I have this delusion someday my family will eat fresh, healthy food. If I have chips in the house, The Boy will finish them in a day. Two tops. A two-liter bottle is good for a day. Right now we have The Boy rationed to one can of Orange Fanta a day. It’s a small step. Now, for salads. I have exciting salads on the menu. Every now and then I forget how the gentle nudge toward healthy went last time I tried it.

Hubby saw my foolish plan, and didn’t say a word. I got out the beautiful romaine lettuce, sweet cucumbers, and some gorgeous tomatoes. I prepared all of these and the kitchen took on a fresh, crisp, summery smell. He perked up when I pulled out crumbled feta and garbanzo beans. Shot me a disgusted look at the black olives, but forgave me immediately when I brought out the avocados. Hubby loves avocados.

Knowing the finickyness of The Boy, I added croutons to the array of little bowls strewn across my counter. The Girl was already covered, she loves anything Greek so the olives and feta would tickle her. Plus I had Greek dressing.

Feeling prepared, and ignoring Hubby, I called the kids to dinner.

The Girl looked, saw I had everything in individual bowls so it was clearly a do-it-yourself, put-the-control-in-her-hands affair, and she wouldn’t be expected to eat any of that nasty avocado. She accepted the plan and made herself a lovely salad.

The Boy took one look and walked away. I grabbed the lanky teen and pulled him back. He’s still shorter than me, which was the only reason I succeeded. I explained dinner is all under his control (of course meaning he can put whatever he likes on his salad). That was a tip from those raising-teenage-boys books I’ve been reading. Yeah. Great idea. His choice was not a salad. He made himself a PB&J.

Brat. 

The salad was great, by the way. Thanks for asking. I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment