Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Flynn's In" is out



For those of you who picked up AKA Lexi Frost during its free Amazon weekend awhile ago, the sequel is now out. (Because we're still at the beginning of the series, you can get away starting with the second book. Starting with the next one, you really need to know the backstory.) I had a lot of fun writing Flynn’s In.  Something about teenagers.

I know teenagers aren’t fun. They’re annoying. Mine are whiny, grumpy, lazy, inconsiderate, and seems to have a hearing impairment. Actually, The Girl isn’t lazy or inconsiderate, she’s a walking panic attack and going overboard to prove her little brother is the worst kid on the face of the planet (in theory so we’ll buy into her sales pitch to just get rid of him). I’m pretty sure pharmaceutical companies invented things like Valium because of teenagers.

The Boy isn’t the worst kid ever, he’s a fairly typical teenage boy. Trust me, that’s enough. Writing Flynn’s In, I didn’t get much inspiration from my teenagers, mostly because they weren’t teenagers yet when I wrote it. I did see the writing on the wall, however. Granted it was in crayon, but it was there, and it told me to do something a little different.

Writers tend to read a lot, it goes along with the job. If you don’t read, you shouldn’t write. I read a few books on raising teenagers to write Flynn’s In and the next one, A Thousand Words. It’s more obvious in the third in the series, but it’s there in the second too. Some of those little tidbits of advice to frustrated parents leaked in. Recently, I’ve been reading up specifically on teenage boys, so we’ll see if some of that advice leaks into the books I’m writing now.

Of course putting six teenagers in the heroine's house is just for fun. The point of romance is to escape. Fall in love again, feel those stirrings deep inside and remember your first kiss, get lost in the story and the seduction. Stories have hurdles, a house full of teenagers is one. I bet it’s a hurdle none of you would want. And these teenage boys will probably make you feel better about yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment