Monday, August 12, 2013

The Girl, the cat, and the shower


The Girl likes to take baths and showers in my bathroom because I have a big glass shower and a garden tub. Oddly, Cat likes to join me, or anyone else, for baths because she likes to play with water – to a point.
Filling the tub, Cat will sit patiently by the swan-neck tap and bat at the water as it cascades into the tub. Very nice. Then she circles the tub, and the occupant, like a small black shark, throughout the bath and watches you.

Cat loves bubble baths. Really loves them. For her, it is kitty heaven to play peek-a-boo with my toes under the bubbles. She hasn’t gone so far as to jump in after them yet, although she does occasionally slip. If Hubby is in the bathroom she risks having ‘help’ getting into the tub. (The problem is what she really needs is help getting out of the tub.)

Lately, The Girl has decided to ‘help’ Cat overcome her mild hydrophobia. This morning, The Girl woke sore from yesterday’s hike with friends. Hubby suggested a soak in my tub. She chose a long shower. (Why she couldn't use her own bathroom is beyond me.) 

Grabbing her own scuba gear for the venture, she dropped Cat’s collar on my bed and I noticed her disappearing into my bathroom with two black pointy ears and pair of wide yellow eyes peering at me over her shoulder. Oh, dear.

The water runs. Cat’s mournful meow wafts through the door followed closely by, “You’ll be all right, the water’s not hot.”

“A word of warning to the girl with the upset cat in my bathroom,” I called through the door.

“Yes?”

“She has claws.”

Pause. “Okay.”

Not to say Cat didn’t get - moist. The Girl did take her in the shower with her instead of letting her just watch from outside like I usually do. (She likes to chase bubbles streaming down the inside of the glass. Fun!) But Cat was permitted to sit in the corner and only receive the occasional misting from ricochets. Apparently she can jump quite high when she gets cornered in the shower. 

Cat got snuggled in a warm towel afterward. The Girl wasn’t fatally wounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment