Monday, August 19, 2013

Social Media and the Teenage Horde



A friend of mine updated her MySpace page and sent me an invite to check it out. (Yes, MySpace is still around.) While I was looking it over, The Girl was looking over my shoulder and asked “What’s that?”

Are you kidding me? How can someone not know about MySpace? I was so stunned, I can’t remember if I even answered her. I became lost in misty memories.

I fled MySpace years ago because it was being overrun with teenagers. Like many, I found Facebook and sighed in relief to be able to be social with adults I didn’t know. You all know how that turned out. Yeah. My teenagers live on Facebook too. So once again I migrated to Google+ to seek adult interaction. (Crossing my fingers and looking over my shoulder for teenagers.)

In actuality, The Boy has found Google+, he’s just not interested. He’s thirteen and not enough of his peers are there (yet). It’ll happen. Teenagers are like some sort of plague and there’s just no way to contain them in the eWorld. They’re better at it than we are. We’re the generation that thought Tron was neat for crying out loud! My kids got bored, said “That’s ridiculous, it doesn’t work like that,” and wandered off, just as it was getting good. Now The Boy is eyeing The Matrix and Caprica and I swear he’s wondering if he could make that tech work.

I look at him sometimes and see The Terminator and Battlestar Galactica in our future. Did I mention The Boy wants to work for Microsoft and The Girl wants to work for Google? Hollywood may be prophetic and is certainly giving them ideas, but we have social media to blame for addicting them to the cyberworld. Thanks, MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment