Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Caffeine-Induced Commitment

This week in writing . . . I haven’t done much. A little here and there on the fourth book in The Thousand Words Series, and a bit of revision on A’gust because I really need to work on that even more than Dev’s story. The problem with A’gust is that I know how to fix it, it’s just daunting. I need to just put on my big girl panties and do it, but I’ll take any distraction as an excuse and I have been for years.

Now my distraction is three books are coming up for quarterly renewal on Amazon (for exclusivity), so it’s the perfect time to list them on Smashwords and make them available in other formats. Do I have to do it now? No. There are perks to exclusivity with Amazon and I’ve put it off before. It’s not really fair to limit myself to people with a Kindle. I personally format my books to ePub for friends because I’m not available in the Barnes & Noble store. How pathetic is that? Or nice. Yeah, I’m super nice.

I’m still fiddling with final details of launching Transitions, so I reasonably could put off the Smashwords thing again. And I had a lot of other things going on that I’m not going to go into that just wore me out. (I’ve slept almost three days straight and I’m unbelievable sore, but I’m able to type again.) Honestly, I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to launch Transitions before the end of Never Ready’s promotional time, but I think I’ll be okay. I’ve grown terribly fond of Monster’s Irish Cream Java energy drinks.

With that confession, I’m making the decision to play Wonder Woman. I will have the promo on Never Ready go ahead as planned (July 14 through 18th) and I will release Transitions before that promotion ends. The eBook version, not the print version. That will have to wait.

I will release the print version of Never Ready by the end of the month. After all, I’m just waiting to get the proof on that so I can look it over, it should be fine. (I think I just cursed myself on that.) And I’ll get to Transitions next month.

I will reformat Be Careful What You Wish For, Chrysanthemum, and AKA Lexi Frost for Smashwords. And I will research the pricing tiers and lower their prices, so yay! By doing that on Smashwords, Amazon has to match the price, so . . . you know. There are repercussions. I have enough books published on Amazon now that it should be fine. I’ll look into that. (Adds to growing list of things to do in July.)

Then I’ll breathe a sigh of relief and I will get Make A Wish! released. After that’s done, I have no excuses. I’ve put off dealing with A’gust long enough. Years. See? I’m a world-class procrastinator when I want to be. By putting this down in writing, I’m making a commitment. And The Internet Is Eternal. (Imagine that was in some ethereal, disembodied voice floating over your shoulder.)

Why Smashwords? Because they distribute to Apple iBooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and Sony, among others. And they handle all the major formats if someone wants to go directly to them instead of individual stores. Yes, you can download Mobi (Kindle format) there instead of going to Amazon if you want to. This is going to really mess up tracking. And I’ll have to change the links on my website. Hmm. More things to add to my list. Just peachy.

No comments:

Post a Comment