Sunday, July 21, 2013

It's About Time


Be Careful What You Wish For

When seventy-year-old Viv goes on a cruise to start over after her divorce, she finally meets the perfect man. A genie, a wish, and a false assumption on Viv's part lands her unexpectedly back in 1986. She's twenty, in college, and the man of her dreams doesn't remember her any more.
 
Even with fifty years experience behind her, Viv starts making the same mistakes she made before. She also learns a genie's wishes come with insidious fine print. 

That's my first book (sort of). The first one I'm publishing anyway (kind of). The first I'm publishing publicly (technically true). Okay, that's the first book I'm sending out into the world that anyone can read without being another writer, jumping through hoops, and getting one of a limited number of invites.  Whew! And I'm glad to be done with it and put that baby behind me. Now onto other things, right? Well . . . no.

I've been sitting on this book, mostly ready to launch for months now, and - waiting for what? To get back from the marathon vacation is a given, although I really wanted to get this done before I left. I have another book that I just got back from my editor, and another that is ready to go to my editor. One cover in the final stages and another that's just beginning the process.  You'd think I'd want to get this book launched to make things easier. And you'd be right!

Launching on Amazon was a given, it's the biggest market so it's a pretty logical place to start. For a lot of my fellow romance writers, that's where they stop too. Amazon can give you some nice incentive to be exclusive to them, but there's a downside. I'd give up all the people I want to reach with other eReaders. Amazon may not want you to know this, but some people have Nooks instead of Kindles. (Honestly, I have both, but my kids have Nooks. Of course my kids also have tablets and phones that can support the Kindle App, not to mention their laptops.) And there's the Sony Readers, Kobos, etc. Granted, even then I'd still reach some people because they have multiple devices like my kids, but I don't want to make it hard for readers to find my work.

There's where the delay and debate with Hubby came into it. In the end, I won (kind of). I launched on Amazon. The next one will be on Amazon too (AKA Lexi Frost - that's got more sex) and the one after (Chrysanthemum - implied sex again, but don't worry Lexi Frost has a sequel.) Somewhere around there I'll take away Amazon's exclusivity and launch those on B&N and wherever else I like the contracts. Then we'll see what happens when I release the fourth and fifth (I've been writing awhile). Where are the readers? It's like a long-term game of e-hide-n-seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment