Friday, April 19, 2013

Welcome


 Welcome. Please, stay awhile, browse.

I’m a wife and mother of two teens and a cat. It’s kind of a toss up which is the most interesting of the mentioned relationships. Oh, also a lizard. I don’t count the lizard because he just hangs out in his little terrarium and stares down the cat. Cat-TV.

Anyway, so, teens. Yeah. If you don’t have one of your own, or have never had one, don’t. Kidding. Up until my youngest, we’ll call him ‘The Boy’, hit third grade, I wondered what exactly was wrong with me. I mean, the kids were perfect. My oldest, we’ll call her ‘The Girl’, was almost a perfect baby. She slept through the night at a month. Everyone adored her. Smart, pretty, polite, considerate, thoughtful, talented – I know, something’s wrong here, right? The Boy was a little more demanding as a baby, but still just about as good as you could get in a little boy. It was like Walt Disney was watching over us or something.

Then the tween years started and someone tipped off The Boy (the school’s sex-ed program, I think) what was expected in the teen years. Being the introspective child that he was, he realized that Hubby and I, as parents, would be missing some vital experiences in our lives by having such perfect children. His sensitive little soul just couldn’t let that happen to us. The Girl clearly had already shrugged off the problem, but he would rise to the challenge for our sakes!

So The Boy has single-handedly undertaken the task of being the tween and now the teen migraine for both himself and his sister. It’s been a load on him, and his grades have slipped with the strain. I’ve tried to tell him it’s okay. I’ve got a taste of the teen experience and I’m good now. I can scrapbook it and move on. He can stop. I don’t think he believes me.

Sometimes I just want to march into The Girl’s tidy little room and ground her for making The Boy do her job for her. But I’d have to walk by The Boy’s room to do it, and there’s this odor…

No comments:

Post a Comment